An Energy from Waste Facility uses thermal technology to convert waste that would otherwise go to landfill into steam which drives turbines generating electricity. In so doing it releases the energy which is ‘locked up’ in the waste.
The creation of energy from waste is a sustainable, innovative solution to the growing quantities of waste generated. The benefits include:
- Using safe, reliable and proven technology to create green energy from waste that would otherwise go straight to landfill minimises the Greenhouse gases which are known to be generated by landfilling and by the mining and burning of coal
- Best practice, accountable emission technology
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by creating green energy
- Providing a secure, long-term solution to Western Sydney’s energy demands
- Minimise the need for an additional landfill in the metropolitan Sydney area for up to 30 years
- Diverting one million tonnes of waste from landfill per annum
- Creating 65 new direct jobs and several hundred indirect jobs
The Energy from Waste technology we have chosen is proven and has been operational in many similar plants in Europe for many years;
EfW Plants show:
- Consistently low emissions
- No demonstrable adverse health or environmental impacts
- High rates of energy recovery
- Reduction in landfilling
The Facility will comply with the relevant standards set by the Environment Protection Authority and will meet the stringent European Union standards.
Operations and emissions will be monitored and regulated by the Environment Protection Authority with real-time online air quality data available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For how emissions will be monitored see the video.
No. The Facility will not smell as the waste fuel which is used comprises paper, cardboard, plastic, wood, carpet and fabric.
The fuel is supplied by the Genesis Genesis Xero Waste facility which has been operational for several years, and has had no odour complaints
No. The only part of the Facility that generates some noise are the motors that drive fans and pumps within the building. Noise generation is managed by the use of acoustic enclosures.
No. All of the fuel waste is already delivered to the adjacent Genesis Genesis Xero Waste Facility via Wonderland Drive and away from residential areas.